Sunday, March 9, 2014

Best Weekend Ever! (Part 1)

I was planning on going to Nanjing this weekend alone of Friday. I wasn't  feeling the best and didn't go to my afternoon classes. I decided I would wait and go Saturday morning with Velancy and Nicole. I was frustrated they were taking a super long time. We got to the bus station and got our tickets. We had to wait another long time to get on the bus since they didn't sell tickets as soon as we wanted them too.

We got to Nanjing and I had to go to the bathroom really bad. Where we parked at the train station it was faster to go out another way. I suggest KFC because usually their bathrooms are cleaner. We went in and I tried to follow a lady into the janitors closet... Oooops. Some poor worker must have known what we wanted and he pointed out this back door. We were confused so he again pointed. It looked like a big empty cement room. Again not sure what to do the guy took us out of KFC and walked a little bit and pointed. We figured we better just go and not come back ahah. We found a back way back into the bus station and used the bathroom there.

It was a little after one and we were hungry. We decided to eat KFC. My first time ever in China and Nicole's first time ever. I ordered first and was hoping she would pull out a menu. We all wanted fries because they looked so good. I ordered a small fry (pointing to the picture and saying xiao (small in Chinese) the lady responded small back to me. It made me laugh. I then pointed at a chicken sandwich. Some of the KFC has bones in it and I figured that was probably a safe bet. Then I pointed to a hot fudge sundae.
There were lots of kinds so I said cho ke li or however you spell it.

Next Nicole ordered. She pointed at my tray and said the word for this. It made me laugh. The lady pointed at each thing and said one in Chinese. Velancy did sort of the same thing but got a different ice cream. The food was soooooooo goood!!!! For those of you who don't know I haven't found much good food in my city yet. It was the first time I felt full in weeks. (I found out I have lost 7 lbs since being in China. Eating less and averaging 500 stairs a day. 7 lbs was with eating candy I got in a package). =)



After that I thought we were going straight to the house we were staying at. I found out they wanted to explore and
make it so the family we were staying with didn't feel like they needed to entertain us. Velancy texted them and said we would be their around 6:30 or 7 that night. We had about five hours to kill. We decided to hop on bus 10 for 2 yuan. This is the bus that takes us to the metro. We went 3 stops last time. Velancy and I were thinking we could go downtown. Well.... we went three stops and we KNEW we were not at the right place. With time to kill we figured we might as well stay on the bus a bit. We were going farther into town and the bus was packed. We would have to push and shove to get to the door. After a while a guy got on. I told Nicole to look. She said we should bet where he's from. I said Israel. A few stops later he had to move down because more people were getting on. He ended up right in front of me so I asked him where he was from. He said Persia we all said something like cool. Then I asked where Persia is.... Sadly none of us knew. (In our defense... it's like Iran... I just looked it up. No wonder we didn't know). I said we need to study a map. He had lived in Nanjing for a while and was going to see a friend. The look on his face when we told him we didn't know where we were going was hilarious. Also, there were no metro stops where we were going. Oh well... time to kill. I thought he said get off and he told us NO! It's not a good area. We went one more bus stop and found a really cool looking place. He said yes get off it's cool. We thanked him and went on our way.

 Sorry about formatting issues. It's bugging me but it's not letting me do what I want with it.  So this place that we stumbled upon was actually like some sort of Buddhist temple I think. There was another place up higher that was under construction. That was a bummer because it does look really cool.

We continued walking in farther and found monks singing and chanting. People came and burned incests and were bowing. We didn't want to be offensive or rude. We wanting to take more pictures of the monks. They sure were interested in us. I felt bad so we used these little girls following us around as an excuse! Ha!
Love the positioning! Ha. I didn't eve notice until I was looking at them after I got home.

 You can see the construction being done up on the mountain.
 A local hang out spot. Actually many of the people in this picture were deaf. They were dancing. Chinese people often gather together and dance or do Tai Chi (which was also being done here).

Nicole being silly =)

This concludes part one. Ha- in other words I better eat dinner and I'll write more after I finish eating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Layout