Sunday, March 2, 2014

Chinese People Make me Laugh

On our way back from Nanjing we take a two hour coach style bus. There were five Americans sitting in the back. Two of the sisters sat together but the rest of us wanted window seats so we sat alone making three Chinese people sit with us. Before the bus filled up people would get on and sell newspapers. We stop at two different stations. The first station the lady didn't even acknowledge us and walked off. Velancy was jokingly saying that they should offer us one. Well we go to the next station and a man gets on doing the same thing. He goes one by one seat at a time and advertises the news. He gets to us where no one is behind us. He stares at us for a minute smiles and turns right around and walks off. It was really funny. You could tell he wasn't sure what to do. In the end he decided we can't read (accurate) and happily went on his way.

The guy who ended up sitting by me was extremely uncomfortable. I slept for about half the trip (most Chinese people do). He refused to look at me the entire trip. He read the paper for two hours. The lady behind us was trying to talk to us. She brought her sister back to help translate. Her English name is CeCe. =) I told her I used to be called that when I was little. Well when she came back the man next to me practically jumped out of his seat a flew into another one. He did it so fast he lost his cigarettes. Most people are happy to see us. Oh well. The little girl behind us wants to invite us to her house for dinner.

The third experience we had yesterday is Bethany and I were walking to the store from the bus station. As we were walking and old man passed us and said, "Mei guo ren" which means American. By this time he had passed us I turned around and said, "Dui" which is yes. He smiled so big and started nodding and kept on walking =) He went on his merry way.

Really fast because I have to get ready: The most common phrase we hear is Ting Bu Dong. It mean's I don't understand. When people see us they say it because I guess they are stating the fact that we don't understand them. It makes me laugh because I know enough to what they are talking about but most of what they say I don't catch. I'll try to post more again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Layout